Thursday, April 24, 2014

Elfquest Revisited

I was a huge Elfquest fan when I was a tween. I remember going to the library and eagerly looking for the latest issue of the comic. My best friend Jim was a big comic buff and he took me to my first bona fide comic book store where I discovered the concept of "graphic novels" and saw Elfquest Book One. It was an amazing collection of every comic released to date, including those that I had missed. Love, love, love. (I actually shoplifted it from the store and never went back because the dude knew I'd done it).

Wifey and her bro were also Elfquest fans but because they were middle class suburban kids they actually owned every graphic novel in the series. Inevitably every time I visit their home I start reading through their collection, traveling back to my youth. I used to run around the yard with my thumb tucked in, pretending like I was a four-fingered elf and using a stick as a sword, so this was a big deal to me. It's funny how reading these now I have a slightly different reaction to them. I mean, I still love the artwork and the story is still compelling, but I kind've think the Wolfriders are...well...sort've assholes sometimes. 

The Wolfriders flee the burning forest and barge their way into the trolls' caves. The trolls don't want them there; the Wolfriders are comin' anyway. The trolls have to trick them to get them to leave, otherwise they're just barging in and taking what they want. So okay, they don't get along with the trolls, they're running from their lives and have nowhere to go. It'd be nice if the trolls offered to help, but can you really blame them for not wanting to harbor their enemy?

Next the personable Wolfriders raid "Sorrow's End" (the home of the Sun Folk). Cutter actually abducts a woman. It's because of recognition (some sort of undeniable soul connection) but I don't think that really excuses kidnapping, do you? At any rate they essentially ride into the village, plunder and pillage and snatch a woman, and proceed to make themselves at home. The Sun Folk kind've roll over and let them because they're pacifist essentially (except Rayek). Cutter stalks Leetah and eventually wears her down and gets her to sex him up and give in to her feelings. Not creepy at all.

I still love the series, I'd be down for an Elfquest movie, and I'm still gonna devour this treasure trove of online copies of the original series I found (http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html), but it will be interesting to see how my reactions to the storyline have changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment